Twitter Account Policies
- If you’re interesting, I know you, met you at a conference, Barcamp or are a friend of a friend, I’ll probably friend you.
- If you friend me, and I don’t friend you, and I don’t actively block you, it’s because I read your stream, didn’t really see a connection between us, and left it at that. I figure if you want to read about my life, that’s your call. Feel free to argue your case for reciprocity if you like.
- I don’t autoreciprocate / autofollow. It’s not my style
- This is the event based broadcast account. This means I tweet a lot in a short space for a specific event – such as liveblogging a conference.
- I don’t follow back with this account since it’s a loudspeaker rather than a conversation.
- I don’t trim the friends list for it either – if you sign up for the coverage, you get the coverage.
- I try to reply to @ and DM during the event, but mostly neglect the account between broadcasts.
General Follower Policy
I do periodically review my follower lists, and I do look at the accounts when I get follower notifications. I take an active interest in pruning the followers as I don’t want to use spam accounts, ne’erdowells and other miscreants of the social media stream. I would rather have a small follower base of real people who I care about than a giant follower base of people I don’t know, care for, or are automated systems. Consequently, if you match any of the following criteria, expect to be blocked
- Overt spam accounts. One post, thousands of followers, massive array of bots in your followed stream. You know the drill – goodbye
- Press release streams: If you account is only a series of headlines linked to only accounts that end the update with URL shortening link…goodbye. If I
- The Exfriends rule: If the friendship broke down with a seriously level of ongoing and continuing animosity, you’ll be on the pre-blocked list because you don’t need me in your life.
- Aggressive hawking of gods, services or ideas. This includes overt Christianity hawking, aggressive levels of religious text quoting, or sermons in 140 characters. We all got our gods, we all got our paths and destinies, and if you’re trying for salvation through hard selling, I’m going to block you without a second thought.
- Hate speech. No way do you get to stay in my followers. Homophobia, transphobia, fat shaming, misogynistic comments and abelist conduct means you’re not someone I want reading my twitter stream.
- I feel like it.
- you’re bringing the name of marketing into disrepute
- You’re a bot who found me on a keyword, hashtag or other automated system
- You follow me from a locked profile, and I don’t know you from somewhere else.
- You’re any form of wolf
- You proclaim Men’s Rights Activist (MRA) tendencies, anti-feminist views,
- We have sufficient ideological distance as to make it problematic if we were in the same space for more than an elevator ride.